PRESENT: Cllr D Savage(Chair), Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr J Gray, Cllr B Wright, Cllr P Murray, Cllr N Gamble, Cllr A Calsy, Cllr G Napoletani and Cllr A Nugent.

            Cty Cllr K Hitchen

            Borough Cllr G McGrath


99/20   Apologies: , Cllr M Kitchingman


100/20 Exclusion of Press and Public

            There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and public.



            Cllr Wright declared an interest in Agenda Item 9.1, Planning applications 2450 and 2462

Cllr Calsy declared an interest in Agenda item 9.1, Planning application 2462

Cllr Napoletani declared an interest in Agenda item 9.1 Planning application 2459

Cllr Gamble declared an interest in Agenda item 11,3(d) Geological Disposal Facility


102/20 Minutes of the Meeting held on 2nd November 2020.

            The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd November 2020 were approved and will be signed by the Chair at the next appropriate meeting.

Proposed by Cllr Lockwood, seconded by Cllr Gray


103/20 Police Liaison Report

            Reports had been previously circulated.  No comments were made.



            104/20.1 Update Covid-19 local volunteer group

            Cllr Murray reported that things were running smoothly.

            104/20.2 Mill Park

            Cllr Savage reported that an agreement had been reached with Cumbria Highways for the installation of a “No Through Road” sign in 2021.  With respect to car parking issues, a request has been made to Residents to lead on this issue with support from the Parish Council. As yet, residents have not responded to this request.



            None present



Cty Cllr Hitchen had received a letter of complaint from a local resident and asked for some background information on the issues raised.

Cllr Hitchen reported that Cumbria CC had put forward their plan for a unitary authority to the government.

Cllr Hitchen reported that he had received a copy of the PC’s submission to the Copeland Local Plan and congratulated the Council on its submission, which he had circulated it to senior members of CCC for inclusion in their area plan.

Cty Cllr Hitchen was thanked for his report and then left the meeting.

B. Cllr McGrath stated Copeland’s submission for the unitary authority would be submitted by 9 December 2020.  There was no date for a decision but it was possible that the proposed structure of the new Unitary Authority would be out for consultation in the Spring of 2021  But these were only assumptions at this point in time.



107/20.1          To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

4/20/2450  Widgeondale Cottage, Lady Hall

Erect Detached garage

The Council resolved to support the application


4/20/2462  Newton Back Barn, Lady Hall

Alterations to supplement the existing residential Accommodation including additions to windows, New external Patio/Deck

The Council resolved to support this application


4/20/2459  Lime Tree Cottage, The Hill

Discharge of Planning Obligation attached to S106 Agreement (Local Occupancy Restriction)

Debate took place on this application and 4 options were proposed and voted on accordingly

Object to the application – 1 vote – Cllr Gray

Modify and place a time limit of 1 year on for locals to apply to purchase before allowing restriction to be lifted – 2 votes – Cllrs Gamble & Nugent

Modify the restriction to residents residing within the county of Cumbria – 2 votes – Cllrs Wright and Calsy

Remove the restriction completely – 2 votes Cllrs Lockwood and Murray. 

The Chair cast his vote as chair and voted for the removal of the restriction.  The council’s resolution will be to support the lifting of the S106 restriction on this property.


107/20.2          To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.



107/20.3          To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications




108/20.1 The following payments were approved:

L Cooper                     Clerks salary & expenses                   £528.14

HMRC                         PAYE                                                  £110.80

Great North Air Ambulance S137 donation                            £100.00

North West Air Ambulance S137 donation                             £100.00


Proposed by Cllr Lockwood and Seconded by Cllr Gray that the payments be approved.


108/20.2 To note the receipt of payments



108/20.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements dated 31 October 2020

Checked and approved by Cllr Kitchingman


108/20.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 30 November 2020 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

None required.



            108/20.1 Community Plan

a)    Play area planning update

Cllr Nugent reported that the order had been submitted and it was expected that the installation would take place February/March 2021 weather permitting.

A copy of the proposed Licence agreement between Thwaites Village Hall and the Parish Council had been previously circulated.  It was resolved to accept the Licence Agreement from 1 January 2021

Proposed by Cllr Lockwood, seconded by Cllr Wright

b)    Traffic Management

Cllr Savage previously circulated a list of projects to improve road safety.  Councillors to consider and add any additional issues to be discussed at the January 2021 meeting

108/20.2 Parish Projects

a)            Bus Shelters

Cllr Gray reported that a new window frame is to be constructed for The Green bus shelter at a cost of £350 and was awaiting the prison to complete the project.  It was agreed that if work hadn’t progressed by February 2021 that Cllr Gray would submit a contingency plan for the project.  Cllr Gray confirmed that work would be undertaken on The Hill bus shelter.

b)            Notice Boards

Cllr Gray reported that the notice board at The Green would be refurbished/repaired and then moved into the Bust Shelter.  Cllr Gray to check that a new “roof” had been fitted the notice board at The Hill.

            (c)        Hill Brow, The Hill

Cllr Gray to meet with the Clerk to discuss works required and report back to the January meeting

            (d)       Mud on Road

Cllr Gray to write to Cumbria Highways for options available and report back at the January 2021 meeting.

108/20.3 Policies, Procedures and Consolations

a)    Emergency Plan Review

The Emergency Plan had been completed and circulated.  It was resolved to approve the plan

Proposed by Cllr Lockwood, Seconded by Cllr Gray

b)    Parish Council Working Groups

A report had been circulated and will be discussed at the January 2021 meeting

c)    Copeland Local Plan Submission

Cllr Savage reported that the plan had been submitted.  The response to be uploaded to the Website and the Facebook page

d)    Geological Disposal Facility – Parish Council approach

The Chair proposed that a small working group be set up to peruse documents etc and feed back to the council.  It was agreed that the working group would consist of Cllrs Savage, Lockwood. Gamble and Wright.

Proposed by Cllr Nugent, Seconded by Cllr Napoletani

A response had been received from RWM on the questions brought up at the meeting with them held on 19 November 2020.

Concerns had been expressed that there was no representative from South Copeland/Parish on the GDF Working Group.  Representations to be put to them and a recommendation that Borough Cllr G McGrath be a member to represent the views of the community.  Cllr Savage will write to RWM to express the Parish Council issues.

Proposed by Cllr Lockwood, Seconded by Cllr Napoletani


109/20 Reports from outside Bodies

a)    Millom Stronger Town

Cllr Savage reported an article to be in the next Around the Combe magazine identifying the key areas of the bid.  A grant of £0.5m had been received and this was being used to form the running track at Millom School, work on Millom Park, and creating a heritage trail for Norman Nicholson project.

b)    3 Tier Meeting

Nothing to report



The clerk reported that all correspondence had been previously circulated.



·         Cllr Calsy requested that the development of a Heritage Trail be placed on the next agenda

·         Cllr Calsy requested that the potential location of EV charge points and Environmental Issues be placed on the next Agenda

·         Cllr Calsy requested that the Clerk write a letter to the owner of the wall that has partially collapsed blocking a footpath in The Hill

·         Cllr Gamble reported that he had attended The Good Councillor Course and found it useful. There were some learning points which are being followed up with the Clerk.

·         Cllr Gamble requested that the council consider applying for the Foundation Level Award for Councils.  This to be placed on the February 2021 Agenda

·         Cllr Nugent requested that the replacement of Parish seats report be re-issued and to be placed on the February 2021 Agenda

·         Cllr Murray requested assurances that the bus shelter at The Hill would also be refurbished.

·         Cllr Wright asked if the Clerk had a map of the parish showing footpaths and their definitive numbers.  Cllr Gamble stated that this information is available on Cumbria CC’s website.

·         Cllr Savage reported that a meeting had been arranged by the South Copeland Partnership with the RWM working group to discuss the GDF proposals and invited councillors to attend.  The meeting is on 10 December 2020 at 7pm

·         Cllr Savage asked the Clerk to prepare a list of meeting dates and deadlines for the Ghyll Scaur Quarry and CGP Trust Funds for the January meeting.

·         Cllr Savage asked that future meetings to be held via Microsoft Teams and requested that the Clerk set one up for the January 2021 meeting.


112/20 DATE OF NEXT MEETING 4 January 2021 via video conference call at 7.30pm. 


There being no other business the meeting closed at 2106 hrs



Signed .................................             Date......................