PowerPlusWaterMarkObject357831064Minutes 9/1/17

MILLOM WITHOUT PARISH COUNCIL

DRAFT MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON

MONDAY 9th JANUARY 2017 IN THWAITES VILLAGE HALL, THE GREEN COMMENCING AT 07.30PM


PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair), Cllr W Huck, Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr P Murray, Cllr J Gray, Cllr L Butcher, Cllr A Nugent, and Cllr B Wright


Borough Cllr G Scurrah

Mr R Mills, Director of Brockwood Hall/Dunningwell Hall

3 members of the public


126/16 APOLOGIES, Cllr P Newman, Cllr M Kitchingman, Cllr K Hitchin (County Councillor) PCSO Booth


127/16 Exclusion of Press and Public

There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and public.


128/16 DECLARATION OF INTEREST

Cllr Savage declared an interest in item


129/16 MINUTES

The minutes of the meeting held on 7th November 2016 were approved and signed by the Chair.


130/16 Police Liaison Report

PCSO Booth had sent a report in his absence which was presented to the Council. This was accepted.


131/16 PROGRESS REPORTS

131/16.1 Traffic Management

The Clerk had sent an email to County Cllr Hitchen explaining the Parish Councils position on the proposed speed limit extensions.


131/16.2 Plastic Recycling

Cllr Kitchingman has been in contact with Thwaites Village Hall and is awaiting a response.

132/16 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Mr Giles presented a case for the replacement of the street lights that have been removed by Electricity Northwest. He stated that 8/9k users per annum used Green Road Station. He stated that people using the station were anxious as there is no pavement and they are forced to walk along the road and cannot see where they are walking.

Cllr Savage thanked him for the emails on this topic which had been circulated amongst the councilors and that this matter was on the Agenda for discussion. It was explained that Copeland BC have no statutory duty to provide street lights and any replacement lights would have to be funded by the Parish Council.

Cllr Savage explained that there were a number of options available which needed to be explored and it was about getting the balance right.


Cllr Savage thanked the members of public for attending and they left the meeting.

Mr R Mills, Director of Brockwood Hall/Dunningwell Hall explained the policy of his company with regards to the use of the road from The Hill, through School Ellis to Brockwood Hall. He explained that all guests were directed along the A595. He also encouraged his staff and delivery drivers to also use the A595 to access Brockwood Hall. He acknowledged that the problem of speeding along this road was potentially locals from the Millom area coming to use the facilities of the Hall and taxi drivers bringing/collecting guests from Brockwood Hall. He has in the past tried to get taxi drivers to use the A595 but has met resistance.

It was agreed that the Clerk should contact PCSO Booth regarding this issue and seek his assistance.

Cllr Savage thanked Mr Mills for his assistance in this matter and also for his support in response to the National Grid consultation documents.


133/16 COUNTY COUNCIL AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS

County Cllr Hitchen had given his apologies for this meeting


Borough Cllr Scurrah stated that he had nothing to report.

Cllr Savage asked if there was any feedback from Copeland BC re the email he had sent Cllr Scurrah. Cllr Scurrah reported that he had not received anything back but would pursue the issues.


134/16 APPLICATIONS FOR DEVELOPMENT:

134/16.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

None received


134/16.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.

4/16/2412 Erection of one replacement Holiday Lodge ad one new Holiday Lodge

Brockwood Hall, Whicham

The application was supported


134/16.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications

7/2016/4036 Barn conversion to form new 2 bed dwelling

Broom Handle Cottage Duddon Bridge

REFUSED CONSENT

135/16 FINANCIAL RECORDS

135/16.1 The following payments were approved:

  1. Copeland BC Grass cutting £ 538.69

  2. L Cooper Clerks salary & expenses £ 607.15

  3. HMRC PAYE £ 130.60

  4. SLCC Membership £ 31.00

  5. Thwaites Village Hall Hall Rental £ 150.00

  6. C Gibson Refund of copying costs £ 75.00

  7. Thwaites Village Hall Donation – Tennis Cts £1000.00


Note – the Clerk was instructed to raise an invoice for £125.00 for the re-imbursement of copying costs and room hire to Power Without Pylons as agreed by Cllr Savage.


135/16.2 To note the receipt of payments

None received


135/16.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statement

None required


135/16.4 Budget Comparison Report as at 31 December 2016 was considered

No actions required


136/16 PARISH MATTERS

136/16.1 Skills Review

Cllr Savage to send out reminders


136/16.2 Co-option of Councillor

This is awaiting the outcome of the skills review


136/16.3 Tree Maintenance

The Clerk reported that the overhanging tree by the Punch Bowl, The Green had been reported.

Cllr Huck reported that the dead cherry tree had been cut down and removed by a member of the public. Cllr Butcher to source a replacement.


136/16.4 Street Lights – The Green

Discussion took place taking into account the members of public’s concerns expressed during 132/16. It was noted that the capital cost of replacing 3 lights would be in the region of £7200 with revenue costs of approx £120 per light per annum and these costs would have to be met by the Parish Council.

The Clerk was instructed to write to Highways at Cumbria County Council expressing concern re safety of pedestrians and seek funding

The Clerk was instructed to write to Copeland BC seeking an explanation as to why light no 137 was never connected when installed.

Cllr Butcher to contact Quarry manager to ascertain if the road to Green Road station formed part of the criteria for their highways fund.

The issue of street lighting to be included within the proposed new Neighbourhood plan.

The Clerk was instructed to seek advice from CALC as to it’s statutory authority regarding lighting.


136/16.5 Out and About

It was noted that Out and About was to cease publication and be combined with Around the Combe. It is unsure how much space would be available for Parish Council use.


136/16.6 Website

A new website was currently being built. Information is requested to be included. The clerk to circulate the address for councillors to visit the new site.


137/16 Council Priorities and Supporting Organisation

137/16.1 Neighbourhood Plan

Cllrs Nugent and Murray to begin work on this.

137/16.2 Operable Website

See 136/16.6 above

137/16.3 Traffic Management

This had been discussed in item 131/16.1

137/16.4 Emergency Plan

It was reported that Cllr Newman had nearly completed this and expected to present it at the February meeting

137/16.5 Pylon Campaign/NWCC

The Clerk reported that the Council’s response had been emailed and a hard copy sent by post. National Grid had verbally confirmed that they had received the email response.


138/16 Reports from representatives on outside bodies

Cllr Wright reported that he had attended the Duddon Estuary Partnership meeting on 7 December and that they had submitted a response to the National Grid’s consultation documents.


139/16 CORRESPONDENCE

  1. A letter had been received from Mouchel requesting information about the Pinnel Hole. It was agreed not to respond.

  2. It was noted that it is planned to hold a tribute to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the end of the 1st World War. The Clerk to approach Whicham and Bootle Parish Councils to organise a beacon on Black Combe.


140/16 COUINCILLOR MATTERS


141/16 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be held at 7.30pm MONDAY 6 February 2017 at The Hill Village Hall.

There being no further business the Meeting closed at 9.15pm




Signed ................................. Date......................

51