Minutes 6/7/2020



PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair) Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr G Napoletani, Cllr J Gray, Cllr B Wright, Cllr A Nugent, Cllr N Gamble, Cllr P Murray and Cllr A Calsy

Cty Cllr K Hitchen Borough Cllr G McGrath

39/20 Apologies: Cllr M Kitchingman

40/20 Exclusion of Press and Public

There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and public.


Cllr Savage declared an interest in Agenda item 11,1(a) Play area – progress report and agree Parish Council Funding

Cllr Gamble declared an interest in Agenda item 11.2 (i) Review of Parish Council Website

42/20 Minutes of the Meeting held on 1st June 2020.

The minutes of the meeting held on 1st June 2020 were approved and will be signed by the Chair at the next appropriate meeting.

Proposed by Cllr Nugent, seconded by Cllr Lockwood

43/20 Police Liaison Report

Reports had been previously distributed.


44/20.1 To update and approve any support required for the Covid-19 local volunteer group

Cllr Calsy reported that the number of people requiring assistance remained constant as many were still shielding and would continue to do so until 1 August 2020.



Cty Cllr Hitchen reported that he had taken the approved monitoring report to the highways meeting and the following person had been allocated as contacts in 3 areas

A1.1 and A1.3 Davis Johnson

A3.2 Kevin Cosgrove

Cllr Hitchen was thanked for that information.

Borough Cllr McGrath reported that a meeting had been held between the Chair of CALC and Copeland BC re footway lighting but as yet he had not received anything about the outcome of that meeting.

A visit had been made by the Enforcement Officer to Gornall Woods and he was awaiting a response from Nick Hayhurst as to the result of that visit. He would continue to chase for an answer.


Minutes 6/7/2020

Both Cllrs Hitchen and McGrath stated that there was some confusion about who was responsible for what with regards to footway lighting within Copeland and both Copeland BC and Cumbria Highways were working to identify who had responsibility for which lights.

CBC were again going to ask Parishes to submit the list of lights within their parish. Cllr Murray reported that that work had already been completed and submitted.


47/20.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

Pre-application submission – Smallthwaite Estate, Duddon Hall Changes to mast

Cllr Calsy and Cllr Wright to seek feedback from local residents.

47/20.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.


47/20.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications



48/20.1 The following payments were approved:

Copeland BC Planning application fee £231.00

Proposed by Cllr Lockwood and Seconded by Cllr Napoletani that the payments be approved This fee is to support the planning application for the Play Park.

48/20.2 To note the receipt of payments None

48/20.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements dated 31 May 2020

This had been verified by Cllr Kitchingman and signed off as correct

48/20.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 30 June 2020 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

Cllr Gray reported that the budget of £2k approved for the improvement to bus shelters had not been allocated on the Monitoring report

48/20.5 AGAR 2019/20 The Clerk reported that all submissions had been made and an acknowledgment of receipt had been received.

Cty Cllr Hitchen then left the meeting

49/20 PARISH MATTERS 49/20.1 Community Plan

a)Play area

Cllr Lockwood took over the Chair. Cllr Gamble had presented a paper and distributed it prior to the meeting. Cllr Calsy expressed disappointment that Playdale had not been the successful company. £5k donation had been obtained from CGP Trust and a further £15k was being applied to from Ghyll Scaur Quarry Trust. A proposal that £10k from reserves be allocated to the project with a £2k contingency set aside as stated in the supporting paper.

Resolved: Proposed by Cllr Nugent Seconded by Cllr Murray

Cllr Savage thanked the sub group for their work and it was hoped that the project would be completed by middle of September 2020.


Minutes 6/7/2020

Cllr Savage resumed the Chair

b)Affordable Housing

A paper had been previously circulated by Cllr Savage and Cllr Napoletani.

It was proposed by Cllr Gray and Seconded by Cllr Nugent and resolved that the following actions would be taken as per the paper’s recommendations:

i)Invite a specialist from ACT Cumbria who are subject matter experts on this issue to present to a wider audience via the South Copeland Partnership to share the knowledge with other Parish Councils. (Need to be undertaken when Covid-19 restrictions are eased).

ii)Undertake some local consultation on what is the housing need before moving forward with action in the Community Plan.

49/20.2 Parish Projects


Cllr Gamble reported that work had commenced on the new website. A template to be issued to Councillors for their details to be added to the website. The new website would incorporate changes required by the new Accessibility Regulations which come into force on 20 September 2020.

Proposed by Cllr Lockwood and Seconded by Cllr Napoletani that the current sub group continue with the work

49/20.3 Policies, Procedures and Consolations

a)Review of Policies

Cllr Gray reported that there were 5 policies that still required reviewing and approving which would be brought to the September meeting. He proposed that all policies be reviewed and approved at the February meeting each year.

Proposed by Cllr Calsy and seconded by Cllr Lockwood and resolved.

b)Cumbria Coal Mine

Clerk to check if there is a date for submission

c)Haverigg wind farm

The council determined to be neutral on this application as it did not directly affect the parish.

50/20 Reports from outside Bodies None


The clerk reported that the following correspondence had been received:

A letter of concern regarding vehicles entering and leaving Mill Park had been received. Cllrs Savage, Calsy and McGrath to meet with residents to discuss options.

Cllr Gamble reported that a response to the Borderlands initiative for community fibre options was being undertaken by residents at the Pump House.


Cllr Lockwood reported that 12 deaths have occurred with Coronavirus within the Millom GP practice. Cllr Gray reported that there had been 3 cases confirmed at Lapstone House but these were all clear now.

Cllr Gray asked if hedge laying at the Pinnel Hole could be added to the September Agenda.

Cllr Gray stated that there have been signs of development being undertaken at Applehead Farm and asked if there had been a planning application received. The Clerk to check.


Minutes 6/7/2020

Cllr Gray reported that it is expected that work will commence in August to refurbish the bus shelters.

Cllr Gray reported that he was in consultation with regards to the possibility of installing mains gas to The Hill and would report back to the September meeting.

Cllr Wright reported that now a new water main had been installed under the Duddon, the old main that runs along the Foxfield viaduct was now redundant and was a possible coastal path opportunity for crossing the Duddon

Cllr Nugent enquired what the plans were for recognizing the councillor service of Messrs Huck and Butcher. Cllr Savage stated that he had spoken to both, trees had been planted and that once meetings could be held that a ceremony would be arranged

Cllr Savage reported that after the announcement by EDF re Moorside that the issues of transmission could raise its head again. This would be monitored in light of the previous proposals to build significant infrastructure to support the transmission requirements.

53/20 DATE OF NEXT MEETING 7 September 2020 via telephone conference call at 7.30pm.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 2049 hrs