PowerPlusWaterMarkObject357831064Minutes 3/7/17




PRESENT: Clr D Savage (Chair), Cllr B Wright (Vice Chair) , Cllr L Butcher, Cllr W Huck, Cllr P Murray, Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr Gray, Cllr A Nugent, Cllr G Napoletani, Cllr A Calsy, and Cllr M Kitchingman,

Cty Cllr K Hitchen

54/17 APOLOGIES: Cllr Kitchingman had given his apologies for the commencement of the meeting and joined the meeting at 8.15pm

55/17 Exclusion of Press and Public

Item 11.8 of the Agenda – Human Resources issues would require the exclusion of press and public. It was proposed by Cllr Gray, Seconded by Cllr Wright that this item be moved to the end of the Agenda should any press or public attend. None were present.


Cllr Wright declared an interest in item: 59/17.5 Coastal Path

Cllr Gray declared an interest in item: Common Land

Cllr Savage declared an interest in item: 63/17.6 Thwaites Village Hall

57/17 Minutes of Meeting held on 3rd July 2017.

The minutes of the 3rd July 2017 were approved and signed by the Chair

58/17 Police Liaison Report

A report had been received from PCSO Booth which had been previously circulated to Councillors. This report was accepted.


59/17.1 Fell View

Cllr Savage reported that he had spoken to Mr N Hayhurst Planning Officer at Copeland BC for an update.

CBC was still awaiting clarity on the buildings and their purposes through the planning consultant. The applicant was still claiming they were for family and friends but responses were vague. Once clarification had been sought then the details would be placed in the public domain along side the planning application.

Cllr Savage would seek for a site visit and a meeting with residents would be arranged.

59/17.2 Green Waste collection The Hill

Cllr Murray reported that the hedge had been cut back and the issues had been resolved.

59/17.3 Ghyll Scaur Quarry Benefit Trust

The Deed of Trust had now been signed by the Quarry. 4 members of MWPC to be appointed to the board plus 1 representative from the Quarry.

It was agreed the MWPC representatives would be Cllrs Savage (Chair), Cllrs Lockwood, Calsy and Wright

The Clerk to contact Barclays bank to open an account and arrange signatures etc.

Once this had been set up then the Trust Fund to be advertised in Out and About and on notice boards

59/17.4 Lighting The Green

The Clerk reported that No 37 lamppost was expected to be moved to its new siting by The Pump House on 5 September 2017. It would then require to be connected by Electricity Northwest.

An article to be placed in Out and About seeking suggestions from residents on how the lane from the Pump House to Green Road Station could be lit economical by non mains electricity lighting.

An email had been received from a concerned resident re street lighting, the Clerk to respond.

59/17.5 England Coastal Pathway

A copy of a document forwarded to Local Ramblers Association suggesting how access to the Duddon Bridge crossing could be linked to the Coastal Pathway had been previously circulated to the Council prior to the meeting. Natural England’s plan was to use the railway from Green road station to Foxfield.

There were areas of contention which would require the working together of English Nature/Ramblers Association/local Parish Councils/landowners if the pathway was to be secured.

It was resolved to work with England Nature and the Ramblers Association to encourage Natural England to reconsider their proposed plans and to promote the coastal path and its connection to access to the Lake District National Park.

It was resolved (proposed by Cllr Murray, seconded by Cllr Lockwood) that prior to the publication of the consultation document that England Nature be invited to give a briefing to the Parish Council.

59/17.6 Parish Council Logo

Cllr Nugent reported that the logo had been sent to a professional graphic artist for inclusion of lettering and was expected to be returned within a week.


None were present


Cty Cllr Hitchen stated that he had nothing to report

From a Copeland BC perspective, there were plans to changing kerbside collections for recycling materials.

The vote had been taken to reduce the number of District Councillors and this had been submitted to the Boundary Commissioners consultation. The numbers/districts would be determined in 2019 prior to the elections


62/17.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

Kirkby Moor Wind Farm, Kirkby Moor and Lowick High Common, GRIZEBECK

Variation of Condition no 6 attached to planning permission 5/90/2312 (Erection of 15 wind turbines and construction of access ways) to vary the temporary time condition to allow retention of turbines until 31 March 2027, followed by one year to carry out decommissioning works

A draft letter which had been previously circulated objecting to the proposal was approved (Proposed Cllr Lockwood, seconded Cllr Butcher). The Clerk was instructed to send the letter of objection.

62/17.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.

4/17/2244 Addition to new rear extension for bathrooms, lift tower to rear roof and change of use of existing garage to form New Kitchen

Dunningwell Hall, The Green.

A response was made to this application after a planning sub group meeting and residents meeting to raising concerns about the proposed development.

4/17/2243 Alterations to access

Dunningwell Hall, The Green

A response was made to this application after a planning sub group meeting and residents meeting to raising concerns about the proposed development.

A meeting had been arranged with residents following a site visit by members of the Parish Council. The residents were informed of the outcome of the visit and a meeting between residents and Robin Mills, Manager has been arranged for 6 September at 7pm at Thwaites village Hall. This Meeting will be chaired by Cllr Savage.

The residents were satisfied that the Parish Council was monitoring the situation.

4/17/2269 To roof over a midden (manure storage area) to eliminate dirty water run off

Waterblean Farm, Millom

The council agreed to support this application

Broom Handle Cottage, Duddon Bridge

The Clerk reported that she had sent an email to Planning Dept at LDNP regarding the continued works being undertaken at the property and was awaiting a response.

62/17.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications

None received


63/17.1 The following payments were approved:

L Cooper salary £528.00

HMRC PAYE £132.00

CALC part payment for course £ 25.00

63/17.2 To note the receipt of payments

VAT repayment for 2016/17 £ 128.59

63/17.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements dated 5 July and 4 August 2017

The bank reconciliations were checked and signed by Cllr Kitchingman

63/17.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 31 August 2017 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

None were required

63/17.5 External Audit

The Clerk reported that the accounts had returned and had been signed off, No charges had been incurred.

63/17.6 Thwaites Village Hall

A request had been received from Thwaites Village Hall are seeking a contribution towards the proposed refurbishment of the kitchens. It was resolved that Cllr Kitchingman contact the committee of Thwaites Village Hall to ascertain the specifics of the request and to intimate that the Council may be able to make a small contribution towards a specific item.


64/17.1 Pylons

A report had been received from White Young Green re the effectiveness of the consultation by National Grid. The report was noted.

64/17.2 Community Plan

Cllr Nugent reported that a letter had been drafted to send to proposed members of the Steering Group. Cllr Nugent intended to deliver these personally and to brief each proposed steering member on the merits of this project. It was agreed that there would be representatives from local organizations and businesses and as and when needed from CCC Highways dept and Copeland BC.

It was agreed that Cllrs Nugent, Murray and Savage attend the ACT course at Egremont on 27 September. Cllr Nugent to book the places.

64/17.3 Website

Cllr Savage to send out his profile as a template to other Councillors so that they can be populated. It was hoped to have a walkthrough the new website at the October 17 meeting.

64/17.4 Traffic Management

It was noted that there was an increasing fund available from Ghyll Scaur Quarry (Section106) allocated for highways improvements/safety. It is estimated by Cumbria County Council Highways that there are 24k vehicle movements per week on the A5093 between Millom and Thwaites.

A list of proposed road improvements had been made and these were to be discussed at a meeting with Kevin Cosgrove CCC Highways and Cllrs Savage, Lockwood and Napoletani on 11 September to review and seeking costings on the ideas. The decision as to where the monies would be spent would be made by the Ghyll Scaur Liaison Committee.

A Hauliers event had been arranged for 7 September 17 where discussions regarding changes to speed limits and what ideas the Hauliers had to improve safety.

Cllr Wright asked why the monies stopped at Thwaites junction when the problems continued to Duddon Bridge. This is to be taken back to the Liaison Committee for discussion.

It was suggested that Highways be pushed to cut back the trees along the route so that signage was clearer.

64/17.5 Emergency Plan

Cllr Savage reported that the household emergency plan leaflet had been distributed via Out and About.

The emergency plan produced by Cllr Newman prior to his resignation was now being reviewed

64/17.6 Parish Projects

  1. Telephone Box

Only one suggestion had been received and that was for the siting of a defib machine in the telephone box. There was a question as to whether there was a defib located on the wall at Thwaites Village Hall and this was to be checked.

Cllr Butcher is to chase up the joiner re the door and to repaint the box.

  1. Seat Maintenance

Cllr Butcher reported that they were all in a good state of repair.

  1. Tree Maintenance

Cllr Butcher to look at the report produced by the Lowther Estate on the trees on Hill Brow and report back to the October meeting a plan of action

  1. Notice Board, The Hill

Cllr Lockwood to obtain a quote for repairing/replacing the notice board once a specification had been received from the Parish Clerk.

64/17.7 Common Land

The Clerk had attended a course on Common Land, Village Greens and Public rights of Way. A synopsis of the course had been distributed to all Councillors prior to the meeting. As a result of the course, it is recommended that all Common Land owned by the Parish Council be registered with the Land Registry. No new common land can be registered, only land which has been mistakenly registered as common land can be de-registered.

Cllr Huck raised questions on the information provided at the Common Land Course, which was potentially in conflict with information provided by Defra. The Clerk and Cllr Huck would review the information and report back at the next meeting.

64/17.8 Human Resource Issues

The Clerk reminded the Council that as her employer they were expected to undertake an annual appraisal and pay review. It was agreed that the Skills group of Cllrs Lockwood, Kitchingman and Savage would arrange a date for the appraisal and review of contract hours and salary.

65/17 Reports from outside Bodies

None had been received


  1. LDNP Management Plan 2015 -2020 – the LDNP were trying to measure how they engaged with their communities

  2. A notice had been received inviting Councillors to the opening of the newly refurbished tennis courts at Thwaites Village Hall on 8 September 2017

  3. Notification had been received about the Effective Councillor course from CALC, The Clerk was asked to find out more information and if this was a replacement for the Good Councillor course

  4. South Copeland Partnership was seeking to donate £500 to Whicham CIC to support the “pop-up” café. The Council agreed to this in principle providing that the enterprise seeks to develop to the right standards.


68/17 DATE OF NEXT MEETING 2 October 2017 Thwaites Village Hall, The Green at 7.30pm

There being no other business the Meeting closed at 21.40

Signed ................................. Date......................