Minutes 4/3/19





PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair), Cllr L Butcher, Cllr P Murray, Cllr B Wright, Cllr A Calsy, Cllr I Lockwood Cllr J Gray, and Cllr W Huck

Cty Cllr K Hitchen PCSO Booth

5 members of public were present

127/18 APOLOGIES: Cllr M Kitchingman, Cllr A Nugent, Cllr G Napoletani,

128/18 Exclusion of Press and Public

There were no items that required the exclusion of press or public



130/18 Minutes of Meeting held on 4 February 2019.

The minutes of the meeting held on 4 February 2019 had been previously distributed. Minute number 123/18.4a the word “were” to be added before “not approved” to ensure grammatical correctness. This was agreed and added to the minutes before being signed as correct by the Chair. Proposed by Cllr Lockwood, Seconded by Cllr Calsy.

131/18 Police Liaison Report

No report had been received.

PCSO Booth apologised and stated that a new person was collating the figures. There was nothing major to report and no new trends. There had been a number of incidents of sheep on the road at Buckman Brow and the farmer had been spoken to. Police engagement sessions were being well attended. Cllr Savage asked PCSO Booth to relate back to PS McDonald that if future events dates could be given early enough for them to be included/advertised in Out and About.

Cllr Calsy stated that she had reported some suspicious activities. PCSO Booth was thanked for his report and left the meeting.

132/18 PROGRESS REPORTS 132/18.1 Fell View

The Clerk reported that a timeline had been completed and sent to Mr Hayhurst. She read out an email response from Mr Hayhurst that stated that the planning application would be put to the April Planning Panel, whether the information requested had been received or not. The Clerk to ascertain the date of the April Planning Panel meeting.

132/18.2 School Governor, Thwaites School

Cllr Savage reported that Cllr Nugent would be willing to be the Parish Council representative on the School Governing body. This was approved by the Council.


The land agent for landowners in the Duddon Valley gave additional information on a planning application that was to be considered at the meeting.

A member of the public requested that the Parish Council consider applying for modifications to the map for routes not recorded within Millom Park but which had


Minutes 4/3/19

been used traditionally for over 20 years. He suggested that there be a sub group of the Parish Council to look at Public Rights of Way (PRoW) within the Parish prior to the change in the law in 2026.

Cllr Savage responded that this information was useful and would the member of public be able to explain the change of law in a report to the Council.

This to be placed on the next month’s agenda.

A member of the public wished to thank the Parish Council for arranging the meeting with the Lowther Estates to discuss the damaged footpaths in Millom Park.


Cty Cllr Hitchen reported that on the Modgov app all the development control meetings re footpaths could be found.

He confirmed that a meeting would be held at 3pm 18 March 2019 in Thwaites Village Hall, with himself, Kevin Cosgrave, Craig McCarron and representatives of the Parish Council to discuss highways issues.

Still awaiting dates for the resurfacing of the road between The Hill and The Green. Duddon Bridge – still awaiting information from Natural England and County Officials to ascertain who is responsible for seeking funding for a pedestrian bridge across the Duddon to link the coastal path. Copeland BC also has a part to play in this and needs to be supportive.


134 /18.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

4/18/2397 land opposite Mill Park, The Green Amended planning application

The Parish Council resolved to support the amended application 7/2019/4018 Furnace Wood, Duddon Bridge

Temporary stoned access to furnace wood off Corney Fell Road to facilitate the removal of diseased larch trees and conifers from a designated Planted Ancient Woodland Site (PAWS)

The Parish Council recognized the need for this work, required that all was made good once the removal of the trees had been completed and returned to its natural state and that there be no damage to the lay bye being used.

The Parish Council resolved to support this application. 4/19/2069 Erect roofs over middens and cattle feeding yard Water Blean, The Hill

The Parish Council resolved to support this application.

134/18.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.


134/18.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications


134/18.4 The Clerk reported that correspondence had been received from the owner of Hazel Lodge.


Minutes 4/3/19

135/18.2 To note the receipt of payments

A cheque had been received from one of the Land Licence tenants paying for 2 years in advance. It was agreed that this must be returned to the tenant and a request made only for the 2019/20 payment.

The Land Licence agreements to be placed on the next Agenda.

135/18.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements

The bank reconciliation statement presented by the Clerk was checked and signed by Cllr Calsy

135/18.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 28 February 2019 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

The Clerk reported that there was a potential underspend on the year and that reserves would be more than the permitted allowed. It was agreed that the mitigation was the build-up of reserves to enable projects to be undertaken as a result of the community plan.

135/18.5 As a result of an email warning of fraud, the Clerk had produced a protocol or the prevention of fraud which was circulated to Councillors. This was approved.

136/18 PARISH MATTERS 136/18.1 Community Plan

Cllr Savage reported that there had been a good attendance at the Community meeting and a draft plan was expected to be ready April/May.

Cllr Lockwood suggested future “surgeries” be held to listen to issues and feedback ad hoc progress.

136/18.2 Traffic Management

Cllr Lockwood confirmed that there would be a meeting with Cumbria Highways and the council were waiting to hear details of the planned road works.

136/18.3. Parish Projects

a)Tree Maintenance

Cllr Lockwood reported that the resident had not removed the debris from Hill Brow. The Clerk to write to the resident requesting the removal of the debris.

The Clerk reported that the second contractor was unable to give a quote for the works at the Pinnel Hole as there was confusion as to which trees required the works. It was confirmed that it was trees identified with a green spot. The Clerk was authorised to grant the contract to whichever contractor supplied the lowest price, after the receipt of the other quotation on Friday.

Cllr Gray reported that all the ivy had been cut and rubbish collected. It was agreed that the strimming and keeping th4e footpath clear would form part of the community plan.

b)Bus Shelters

Cllr Gray reported that he was still awaiting a response from CBC. It was agreed that Cllr Gray would produce a scope of works

c)Litter bins in lay-byes

The Clerk reported that she had been in contact with CBC and it was agreed to apply for a litter bin for the lay bye at the bottom of Buckman Brow.


Minutes 4/3/19

It was reported that fly tipping was occurring on the old road at Cherry Tree The Hill

d)Footpath Hill Brow

The Clerk reported that a risk assessment had been undertaken and there were 2 areas of concern. It was agreed to source a sign warning of cliff edge for the part of the footpath near the top of the path and that vegetation should be kept strimmed to allow walkers to clearly see the edge.

e)Dunningwell Hall

Cllr Savage reported that he had received a response from Dunningwell Hall, that building works were continuing and there was no planned change of use.

f)Derelict Houses

Cllr Calsy reported that the she had been in contact with the Empty Houses Officer at CBC and had reported 4 properties. It was noted that in 2020 the criteria for council tax on empty houses was to change and that they would be charged double. The Environmental Officer was to look at the properties with regards to pest control.

g)Millom Park

It was agreed that dedicated footpaths would be investigated in Cragg Wood.


136/18.4 Policies and Procedures and Consultations

a)Standing Orders and Financial Standing Orders

These were approved. Proposed by Cllr Gray, seconded by Cllr Murray.

b)Feedback from Election Briefing meeting

The Clerk reported that an informal assessment of completed forms had been arranged for 25 March and that she would deliver all forms to Whitehaven.

137/18 Reports from outside Bodies Southern Boundary Partnership

Friends of the Lake District (FLD) were near to completion of the technical work on the boundary.

Each Parish Council is expected to host a road show event to raise community awareness of the proposed boundary extension.

An announcement from the Government Review being conducted by John Glover is expected to report back in the Autumn 2019.


The following correspondence had been received:

An email had been received from Dream Landscapes clarifying what additional works were required. The Clerk was instructed to seek clarification on the planters and additional works.

An email had been received re a collapsed wall on the public footpath from Duddon View to the A5093. Clerk to report


Cllr Gray asked if metal detectors could be used on Parish owned land

Cllr Huck was concerned about the lack of lighting from the Punch Bowl to Green Road Station

Cllr Huck asked that the ownership of the two derelict buildings on the Pinnel Hole be established. This to be pursued with the Empty Houses Officer.



Minutes 4/3/19

The next meeting to be held at The Hill Village Hall, on Monday 1 April 2019 at 7.30pm

There being no other business the Meeting closed at 9.55pm