PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair) Cllr B Wright, Cllr J Gray, Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr A Calsy, Cllr P Murray and Cllr G Napoletani

Borough Councillor G McGrath County Councillor K Hitchen 1 member of the public

21/19 Apologies: Cllr A Nugent, Cllr M Kitchingman and PCSO Booth

28/19 Exclusion of Press and Public

There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and public.


Cllr Gray declared an interest in Agenda Item 11.1 Community Plan – Child friendly places

30/19 Minutes of the Extra-ordinary Meeting held on 11th April 2019. The minutes were approved and signed by the Chair.

31/19 Minutes of the Planning Meeting held on 24th April 2019 The minutes were approved and signed by the Chair

32/19 Minutes of the Extra-ordinary Meeting held on 8 May 2019 The Minutes were approved and signed by the Chair

33/19 Minutes of the Meeting held on 13 May 2019

Minute 17/19 grammatical change made from “another” to “a*. Minutes approved and signed by the Chair

Proposed by Cllr Gray, Seconded by Cllr Lockwood

34/19 Police Liaison Report

A report had been received and no comments were made.


Cllr Lockwood asked if the deposit of waste on Hill Brow could be followed up



37/19 COUNTY COUNCIL AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS The Chair welcomed Borough Councillor McGrath to the meeting.

37/19.1 County Councillor report

Cllr Hitchen reported that the issues around the Duddon Bridge were on his agenda and a resolution to the problems identified. He had spoken to County Highways re a planned meeting with South Copeland Partnership re the strategic link. Both South Lakes DC and Copeland BC had responsibilities. A meeting was planned for 11 June 2019 between SCP, CBC, SLDC CCC Highways, Cllr Hitchen and Cllr McGrath to discuss the issue. This is a strategic highway and Parish council are asked to



raise the issue and have it included in the CBC Highways Strategy. The Mayor is placing an emphasis on tourism and this road needs to be on the Highways England plan. It was agreed that bypassing the Duddon Bridge would open up west Cumbria. There is a suggestion of a cycleway.

Cllr Lockwood stated that he and Cllr Savage had attended the Copeland Area Committee to discuss the location of the speed awareness poles. He reported that the signs for Aggie’s Lonnin had still not appeared.

Cllr Hitchen thanked the council for the copy of the Community Plan.

37/19.2 Borough Councillor

Cllr McGrath stated that he had been attending the CBC induction and he and Cllr Wilson were still organising how they would both cover the new Black Combe/Scafell ward and provide support for the Parish Councils

He stated that he was on the following committees: Audit, planning, standards and ethics

Ravenglass had no Parish Council at the moment and work was being undertaken to try and reverse this.

Local Plan – planning strategy was to chase the targets for new homes, which required 360 new homes to be built annually, which was not being met. The strategy needed updating.

It was noted that the 5 year land supply was missing from the Local Plan. Planning applications were being passed but houses were not getting built.

The Parish Council expressed their disquiet with the workings of the CBC Planning department and that a recent bad experience with the department did not engender faith in their capabilities.

The Chair thanked Cllr McGrath for his input.


38/19.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

4/19/2164 Proposed First Floor extension on the top of existing garage, a rear ground floor rear extension, internal reconfiguration and new window openings Arden House, The Hill

The Council did not wish to make any comments on this development.

38/19.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.


38/19.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications

7/2019/4007 New two storey garage/workshop with first floor accommodation ancillary to the existing dwelling

Walkmill, North of Duddon Bridge, Duddon Bridge

38/19.4 Gornal Ground Woods

Cllr Calsy reported that a number of residents had contacted the Planning Enforcement Officer at CBC and were awaiting a report. Residents have complained regarding development activity, and parties. The Clerk reported that a letter had been received from the owners of the woods stating that it was for private use. It resolved to monitor the situation.


39/19.1 The following payments were approved:

L CooperClerk’s Salary & expenses£515.59

The Chair reported that the Clerk had undertaken additional work hours which amounted to 9 additional hours to attend/prep etc 3 additional meetings. It was proposed by Cllr Gray and Seconded by Cllr Wright that these additional hours be paid. The Clerk to submit the claim at the July meeting,



39/19.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements dated


39/19.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 31 May 2019 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

No actions required

39/19.5 Land Licence Agreements

It was agreed that Cllr Kitchingman would lead on this,

40/19 PARISH MATTERS 40/19.1 Community Plan

Cllr Nugent reported that copies of the Community Plan had been forwarded to Cumbria CC, Copeland BC to be included in the Local Plan.

Child Friendly Places – Thwaites Village hall had been approached and were happy to host the facility on their land.

Parish concerns – Cllr Savage stated that a timetable was required and these would be the Council’s objectives. It was agreed that a Schedule would be placed in Out and About informing the community, should they wish to attend a particular meeting.

Connecting Communities – Cllr Calsy reported that a “bramble bash” was being organised and she wished to encourage residents to join in and get rid of some of the brambles impinging on footpaths. Cllr Lockwood gave a wildlife warning re the impact on bees of the removal of too many brambles.

It was noted that the wall on the footpath from the A5093 to The Hill had still not been rebuilt. Footpaths Officer to be informed

Cllr Calsy to for a sub-group with terms of reference to undertake this topic.

40/19.2 Traffic Management

Cllr Lockwood reported that discussions were still being undertaken with CC Highways

40/19.3 Parish Projects

a)Bus Shelters

Cllr Gray reported that he had been in contact with Parks & Open Spaces Dept at CBC who managed bus shelters. CBC are suggesting that they work in partnership with the Parish Council and expect the PC to contribute to works. The bus shelters may be transferred to the Parish Council but it needs establishing who owns the land that they occupy. Cllr Gray to continue investigating.

b)Litter bins

The Clerk reported that she had been in contact with the department and a new member of staff had been appointed to deal with litter bins and would be providing a report in the future. It was suggested that the Parish Council may have to pay for the emptying of the bins.

c)Derelict Houses

Cllr Calsy reported that Empty Homes Officer had little success. They may be contacting Environmental Health if it can be proved that the empty houses are a health risk due to rodent infestation. If Council tax is paid on empty properties there is nothing that can be done. Council tax is increased times 3 on empty homes.



40/19.4 Policies and Procedures

Cllrs Calsy and Gray to review

40/19.5 Millom and Haverigg Civic Society

It was agreed that Cllr Calsy would represent the Parish Council on this project

40/19.6 Parish Council vacancies

It was agreed to advertise these in September.

40/19.7 Southern Boundary Partnership

Cllr Savage reported that the Parish Councillors were invited to attend a meeting on 20 June at Grizebeck VH at 6.30pm re scope of proposed boundary.

A series of community conversations were planned 26 June 2019 at Thwaites VH to cover Millom Town Council, MWO and Whicham Parish Councils.

This will be expanded out to other areas

41/19 Reports from outside Bodies None


None received


Cllr Gray stated that he would be attending the CALC conference on 22 June 2019

Cllr Murray asked if some signage could be produce for the stone circle and the lime kiln. The Chair responded by stating that this was one of the actions within the Community Plan

Borough Cllr McGrath stated that there was to be a service at the newly refurbished war memorial in Millom at 7.30pm on 6th June 2019

Cllr Wright requested that a letter of thanks be sent from the Parish Council to Alan Walker for cutting the verges at the Lane Head, Lady Hall

Cllr Lockwood requested the Clerk to pursue with the Enforcement Officer re the perceived planning issue at Hazel Lodge

Cllr Savage reported that he had received a phone call from a resident regarding parking at Mill Park and ownership of the garages. This to be placed on the Agenda for the next meeting

Cllr Savage gave his apologies for the July meeting

Cllr Savage thanked Cllr Wright for his work as Deputy Chair which he had found helpful.

44/19 DATE OF NEXT MEETING 1 July 2019 Thwaites Village Hall, The Green at 7.30pm.

There being no other business the Meeting closed at 9.05pm