Minutes 3/2/2020





PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair), Cllr G Napoletani, Cllr J Gray, Cllr M Kitchingman Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr B Wright, Cllr P Murray, Cllr A Nugent, and Cllr A Calsy Borough Councillor G McGrath

Irene Rogan,

125/19 Apologies: County Councillor K Hitchen

126/19 Exclusion of Press and Public

There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and public.

127/19 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST There were no declarations of interest.

128/19 Minutes of the Meeting held on 6th January 2020.

The minutes of the meeting held on 6th January 2020 were approved and signed by the Chair.

129/19 Police Liaison Report

None Received. The Clerk was instructed to resend the correspondence to the emergency services re concerns for road closures and updating of the emergency plan.


130/19.1 Planters

The Clerk reported that Dream Landscapes have removed the planters and will notify the Council when they are ready to install the trees..

130/19.2 VE Day Celebrations

Cllr Murray has taken some photos of the war memorial and reports that it is in reasonable condition. The metal fencing in front of the memorial requires re-painting and some vegetation removing. The Clerk reported that she had been in contact with the War Memorials Trust who has requested some photographs to assess what if any remedial works are required.

130/19.3 Standing Stones

See 131/19 Public Participation below

130/19.4 Litter Bins

The bin at Beckman’s Brow lay-bye has now been put in place. Cllr Calsy is seeking suggestions for the location of additional bins.


Irene Rogan gave a short presentation on the Standing Stone and showed an indication of the proposed design to be placed on the stone. The location of the stone is proposed to be on the Village Green opposite the Village Hall. The design needs to be resolved before the end of February 2020. It is possible that the stone will be donated to the community. The unveiling of the stone at RSPB site is at 11am on 26 February 2020.



Minutes 3/2/2020

Cty Cllr Hitchen had sent a response to the questions raised at the last meeting. Summary: Duddon Bridge trees had been cut back but no further works could be done as the trees are on private land. He has requested the name of the countryside officer who is involved in the consultation on the proposed link between The Hill and The Green.

Borough Cllr McGrath stated that the recent correspondence received by the Council on Footway Lighting and the transfer of responsibility and costs from Copeland BC to Parish Councils has now been passed to CALC for them to negotiate on behalf of all the Parish Councils. A similar exercise has been undertaken in Eden Borough. Cllr Savage asked Cllr McGrath if he could chase CBC for a timeline of decisions since the budget process starts in September.

It was of the opinion that this decision was a double charge on residents and the Parish Council remain concerned of this significant financial burden on residents.


133/19.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority


133/19.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.


133/19.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications


134/19.2 To note the receipt of payments

None. It was noted that 2 garage licence payments were outstanding Cllr Kitchingman to chase

134/19.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements dated

None received

134/19.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 31 January 2020 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

No actions required.

135/19 PARISH MATTERS 135/19.1 Community Plan

a)Cllr Nugent reported that the no progress had been made with the Child Friendly spaces so a sub group for the Council would start to make progress on this project. The Clerk to contact Playdale to obtain quotations and design

b)Cllr Murray reported that a meeting with the Countryside Officer had been positive and now awaiting a report back as to the feasibility of a pathway along Middle Lonnin.

c)It was agreed that an open meeting be held in March in the Punch Bowl (subject to approval by the owner) where feedback from the projects would be given. Date to be arranged and advertised in the Out and About.


Minutes 3/2/2020

d)Cllr Gray stated that he would like to organise a public meeting regarding septic tanks to be held in The Green and The Hill to update the community on changes to the legislation. This was agreed.

135/19.2 Traffic Management

a)Cllr Lockwood reported that he and Cllr Napoletani are to attend a meeting with Millom Town Council and Craig McCarron, CC Highways on 7 February 2020 to discuss issues ie litter picks, Aggie’s Lonnin satnav signs and the Ghyll Scaur layby.

135/19.3 Parish Projects

a)Bus Shelters

Cllr Gray reported that he had developed a specification for the bus shelters and distributed around builders merchants and notice boards. He was asked to send copies to the councillors. The Clerk to contact the prison to see if this is a project they would be interested in.

b)Litter bins

The Clerk reported that a litter bin had been installed in the lay-bye at the bottom of Buckman’s Brow. Cllr Calsy stated that she was gathering information as to possible additional locations for additional bins.

c)Derelict Houses

Cllr Calsy reported that Copeland BC were continuing to investigate pursuing owners through legal routes.

d)Benches and Notice Boards

It was agreed that as benches required replacing that recycled plastic benches would be purchased. It was suggested that the Prison be contacted to repair benches and litter pick opportunities.

e)Parish Councillor Service See Item 130/19.1

f)Swinside Stone Circle

Cllr Wright stated that it was unknown if the there was any deterioration in the stones but concerns of recent high rain fall. The Clerk had been in contact with Historic England who stated that the upkeep of the stones was the responsibility of the landowner.

g)Footway Lights

A list of lights has been received from CBC. Cllrs Nugent and Murray are to check to see if the list is correct and which are not working. A solar light for Green Road Station was suggested. Cllr Kitchingman stated that he had been contacted by the owners of the Pumphouse re the installation of a light

and he will progress this issue.

135/19.4 Policies, Procedures and Consolations

a)Review of Policies

Cllr Gray stated that policies had now been reviewed and there were minor changes that were required. The Clerk to undertake the changes. He stated that there were an additional 5 policies that were required. It was agreed that the policy reviews would be undertaken annually in February/March by a sub- committee with Terms of Reference.

b)English Coastal Path Consultation

A meeting is to be held with the Ramblers Association on 5th February to discuss the proposed route. A response which requires the Parish Council to review at

the next PC meeting to meet the deadline by 4 March 2020.

135/19.5 Human Resources

Councillor vacancies – The council has 2 vacancies. Clerk to send an advert for March Out and About and for notice boards.



Minutes 3/2/2020

136/19 Reports from outside Bodies

a)South Copeland Partnership

Cllr Lockwood reported that there is a proposal to place a swimming pool and recreational centre on land next to Millom School.

ENW are looking into a trial scheme for solar panels on Devonshire Road site and possibly EV charging points

b)Hidden Coast – There is a coastal fund which includes the café at Silecroft and artwork. The South Copeland Partnership now has a seat at the Programme Board.

c)Stronger Towns Fund a member of the SCP is on the board


The clerk reported that the following correspondence had been received:

A Notice of an application of registration for Thwaites Village Hall and Playing Field, The Green from the Land Registry had been received. It was agreed that the Council had no claim to the land or property.


Cllr Kitchingman enquired whether any more litter picks were being planned

Cllr Kitchingman requested a map of the area so that he could place the location of all the benches on it.

Cllr Calsy suggested that the Prison Governor be invited to the Annual Parish Meeting to update the public on the changes to the Prison. The Clerk to arrange

139/19 DATE OF NEXT MEETING 2 March 2020 at Thwaites Village Hall, The Green at 7.30pm.

There being no other business the Meeting closed at 21.10 hrs