PowerPlusWaterMarkObject357831064Minutes 2/9/19




PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair), Cllr J Gray, Cllr I Lockwood, Cllr G Napoletani. Cllr A Calsy, Cllr A Nugent, and Cllr M Kitchingman

6119 Apologies: Cllr B Wright, Cllr P Murray, County Councillor K Hitchen and PCSO Borough Cllr G McGrath

62/19 Exclusion of Press and Public

There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and public.


There were no declarations of interest.

64/19 Minutes of the Meeting held on 3rd June 2019.

The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd June 2019 were approved and signed by the Chair with the following amendments:

37/19.1 (2nd para) delete “Copeland Area Committee” and replace with “Cumbria Highways at Lilyhall”

40/19.3(c) Derelict houses:

1st sentence add after success “in obtaining responses from owners”.

2nd sentence Remove “They may” and add “The officer will….” After “Health” remove “if it can be proved…” and add “to investigate if…”

Removed 3rd and 4th sentences and replace with “The owners have been informed of the annual increases in Council tax for empty homes”

Proposed by Cllr Gray and Seconded by Cllr Calsy


65/19 Minutes of Meeting held on 1 July 2019

The minutes of the meeting held on 1st July 2019 were approved and signed by the Chair.

Proposed by Cllr Nugent, Seconded by Cllr Kitchingman

66/19 Police Liaison Report

None had been received




1 member of public arrived whilst the meeting was in progress and left after hearing the Council’s decision on planning applications.




70/19.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to the Planning Authority

4/19/2264 Change of Use from Agricultural Land to domestic garden, Erection of Wooden cabin Summerhouse

Hazel Lodge, The Hill

The council resolved to make no further comment on this application other than that had already been appropriately submitted to the Authority previously

70/19.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved powers since the last meeting.


70/19.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards to recent applications

7/2019/4052 Variation of condition 2 (plans) on planning application 7/2018/4133 (Conversion of an existing barn into a family house with associated landscaping and gardens) – expose existing window openings which were previously below ground level

Beck Bank Farm. Thwaites



71/19.1 The following payments were approved:

L Cooper Clerk’s Salary and expenses £505.04

HMRC PAYE £105.20

A Calsy Reimburse room hire fees £ 30.00

Whicham PC Course fee £ 20.00

71/19.2 To note the receipt of payments

South Copeland Partnership £500

donation for funding of subgroup set up by Millom without Parish Council for Southern Boundary Partnership Group.

71/19.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements dated 30 June and 31 July 2019

A bank reconciliation had been produced by the Clerk and was checked and verified and signed as correct by Cllr Kitchingman

71/19.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 31 August 2019 and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.

No actions required

The Clerk reported that the reserves were in excess of those that could be maintained, It was resolved that in the November meeting funds would be allocated to Community Plan Projects, where appropriate. If no such allocations can be made, the Council will review the implications for the budget.

It was resolved that the Land Licence agreements would be increased by £5 from £55 to £60 for financial year 2020/21. P. Cllr Lockwood, S. Cllr Napoletani

71/19.5 VAT Claim

The Clerk reported that A VAT claim for £11.41 had been submitted


72/19.1 Community Plan

  1. Cllr Nugent reported that there was no update from the child friendly places team. Thwaites Village Hall had formed a sub-committee to work with the group on the project, but as yet no requests have been made to this sub-group.

  2. It was agreed to contact Lancaster University Students – Environment to suggest potential projects that they may wish to get involved with.

  3. Connecting Communities – 2 different options had been identified for connecting The Green and The Hill These required further investigation and discussion with landowners and Cumbria Highways, It was suggested that the Countryside Access Officer and Sustrans be contacted for additional advice.

Cllr Calsy presented a draft Terms of Reference for a working group for the Connecting Communities, this was rejected. It was suggested that Cllr Calsy spoke to the lead on footpaths to ascertain their views.

  1. Parish Website Support to Community Plan

It was noted that some elements required updating. It was suggested that the Community Plan had its own space that members of the Steering Group could have administrative rights on. The Clerk to investigate.

  1. Community Plan Action Plan. Councillors were asked to study and determine which actions they wished to be involved with. To report back to the October meeting.

72/19.2 Traffic Management

Nothing to report

72/19.3 Parish Projects

  1. Bus Shelters

Cllr Gray reported that the land that the bus shelters were on was owned by Cumbria CC but the bus shelters were the responsibility of Copeland BC. It was agreed that the Parish Council would investigate the taking over the responsibility of the bus shelters and if taken into possession would consult with the community as to their future use. Cllr Gray to pursue the transfer and report back to the October meeting.

  1. Litter bins

The Clerk reported that she had been in contact with the new Deputy Community Services Manager and they were to provide information for the next meeting.

  1. Derelict Houses

Cllr Calsy reported that there was no further update

  1. Mill Park

It was agreed to take this off the agenda as no further information had been presented to the Parish Council for consideration.

72/19.4 Policies and Procedures

  1. Protocol for the issuing of Land Licence Agreements

The Clerk presented a draft document to the Council. It was proposed by Cllr Gray and Seconded by Cllr Lockwood and resolved that the document be accepted and incorporated into the Council’s Standing Orders

  1. Review of Polling Stations

It was resolved that the current status remain.

  1. Review of Policies

Cllr Calsy and Gray proposed that the review date be moved on by 1 year and a new schedule to be presented at the October meeting

73/19.5 Southern Boundary Partnership

Cllr Savage reported that the community conversations had been well attended by over 300 persons. There was strong support for the plan with some communities wanting the proposed boundary to be extended to include them.

Now awaiting to hear from Natural England to make a decision on the next steps, but they are likely to await the outcome of the Government Review of National Parks which is expected October/November. There was a strong evidence base for the proposed changes which had been produced from the independent expert. .

Cllr Lockwood reported that a number of people who attend Broughton Show were eager to debate the changes and there were a number of positive comments and support for the proposal.

73/19 Reports from outside Bodies

Cllr Savage reported that the South Copeland Partnership had held discussions with Cumbria County Council to improve the line of sights at the Duddon Bridge. Work was expected to start in August 2019.


The clerk reported that the following correspondence had been received:


Cllr Savage to write to both parties.

76/19 DATE OF NEXT MEETING 7 October 2019 Thwaites Village Hall, The Green at 7.30pm.

There being no other business the Meeting closed at 21.20pm

Signed ................................. Date......................