MILLOM WITHOUT PARISH COUNCIL
DRAFT MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON
MONDAY 1ST OCTOBER 2018 IN THE HILL VILLAGE HALL,
COMMENCING AT 07.30PM
PRESENT: Cllr D Savage (Chair), Cllr J Gray, Cllr W Huck, Cllr L Butcher, Cllr A Calsy,
Cllr I Lockwood, and Cllr A Nugent
Borough Cllr G Scurrah
2 members of public were present
68/18 APOLOGIES:, Cllr P Murray, Cllr B Wright, Cllr G Napoletani, Cllr M Kitchingman,
Cty Cllr K Hitchen and PCSO Booth
69/18 Exclusion of Press and Public
There were no items on the agenda that would require the exclusion of the press and
70/18 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
71 /18 Minutes of Meeting held on 3rd September 2018.
The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd September 2018 had been previously
distributed. Signed by the Chair
72/18 Police Liaison Report
A report had been received from PCSO Booth and previously circulated. This was
73/18 PROGRESS REPORTS
73/18.1 Fell View
The Clerk reported that an email had been received notifying the Parish Council of
the new date, following the cancellation of the September date, of Copeland Borough
Council’s Planning Panel intention to hold a site visit at Fell View. This is now to take
place on the 22nd October at 11am. The Councillors agreed that only the Clerk
should be in attendance at this visit. The Clerk was instructed to contact Planning
Dept to ascertain who was entitled to attend the meeting. The Clerk to lodge an
intention by the Parish Council to speak at the Planning Panel hearing.
Proposed by Cllr Savage and Seconded by Cllr Lockwood
74/18 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
No matters raised
Members of the public then left the meeting
75/18 COUNTY COUNCIL AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS
Borough Cllr Scurrah stated that there was nothing to report
76/18 APPLICATIONS FOR DEVELOPMENT:
76/18.1 To examine applications for development and submit observations to
the Planning Authority
7/2018/2397 Erection of a single Dwelling
Land opposite Mill Park, The Green
It was agreed that there was insufficient time within the meeting to properly consult
on this application. This application to be discussed at a planning subcommittee
meeting. The Clerk was instructed to obtain an extension on the response date to
enable the meeting to go ahead and also raise the issue of time delays in sending
out the notifications.
4/18/2402 Form concrete access/yard to north and west of existing buildings
Near High Lowscales, Millom
The Council agreed to SUPPORT this application
76/18.2 To ratify the observations submitted by the Clerk under devolved
powers since the last meeting.
76/18.3 To note the decisions of the statutory planning authority with regards
to recent applications
77/18 FINANCIAL RECORDS
77/18.1 The following payments were approved:
J Moyes New Notice board £ 250.00
Dream Landscapes Grass cutting £ 540.00
A Nugent Community Plan expenses £ 50.00
A Calsy Community Plan expenses £ 165.00
77/18.2 To note the receipt of payments
VAT refund £366.61
77/18.3 To receive and note the bank reconciliation statements 5 September
In the absence of Cllr Ktichingman this was deferred until the November meeting
77/18.4 To consider the Budget Comparison Report as at 30 September 2018
and determine action need to address deviations from the budget.
The Clerk reported that tree maintenance works and the Community Plan required
the Projects budget to be increased.
It was proposed by Cllr Lockwood and seconded by Cllr Calsy to increase the
Projects budget from £1k to £2k, the monies to be taken from reserves initially.
78/18 PARISH MATTERS
78/18.1 Community Plan
Cllr Nugent gave an update on Community Plan. The Steering Group had analysed
Q7 & Q10 and it was expected that Q9 would be completed shortly. A meeting of the
Steering Group to be held on 1 November to review results and begin to pull together
the Plan and the Action Plan.
78/18.2 Traffic Management
Nothing to report. Cllr Lockwood to arrange a meeting with Cty Cllr Hitchen to
78/18.3. Parish Projects
a) Telephone Box
The Clerk reported that she had collected the paint and contacted two
local painters who were unable to undertake the work. Cllr Nugent stated
she had a contact and would enquire if they would undertake the works, if
they were unable to do the scope of work then the Clerk was instructed to
advertise the works on Cumbria Exchange.
b) Tree Maintenance
The Clerk had received quotes from Lowther Estates and Joe Dreghorn to
undertake a survey of the Pinnel Hole. It was agreed that the Lowther
Estates quote of £50 for the marking of trees that required thinning to be
c) Notice Boards
The Clerk reported that the notice board was now in situ.
d) Bus Shelters
The Clerk reported that Bootle Parish Council were unable to provide the
information as to how the transfer for the bus shelter had taken place.
e) Disposal of land
The Clerk reported that as the land was Common Land there were
restrictions. It was decided to keep the status quo.
78/18.4 Policies and Procedures and Consultations
The Clerk had submitted the following policies for ratification, which had been
previously circulated to Councillors
a) Equal Opportunities Policy
b) H&S Policy
c) Protocol on the recording and filming of Council meetings and committee
d) Recruitment Policy
e) Sickness Absence Policy
f) Training and Development Policy
g) Appraisal Policy
h) Freedom of Information Policy
Discussion took place and 2 proposals were put forward
Proposal 1 – Proposed by Cllr Savage, Seconded by Cllr Lockwood that they not be
accepted but scrutinised over a 12 month period.
Proposal 2 – Proposed by Cllr Gray, Seconded by Cllr Butcher that they be approved
but reviewed over a 4 month period.
A vote was taken with Proposal 2 receiving 4 votes and Proposal1, 3 votes
The Policies were approved.
78/18.5 Human Resources
a) Subject to the availability of Cllr Wright it was proposed that the date for the
Clerk’s appraisal be 17 October 2018
79/18 Reports from outside Bodies
a) LDNP 11 September 2018
Cllr Savage reported that there had been a good representation of Parish Councils
that would be affected by a proposed extension to the LDNP. ADEFRA review on
National Park structures was due to take place in May 2019. Friends of the Lake
District (FOLD) were to undertake a review of the southern boundary of the LDNP
and a technical assessment to determine if it was the same quality as a World
Heritage Site. This is expected to be completed in the Summer of 2019.
The 1st meeting of the Southern Boundary Partnership is 18 October 2018 and
nominations required for representatives.
It was proposed by Cllr Calsy and Seconded by Cllr Lockwood to continue to explore
the opportunity of a boundary extension
It was agreed that the following Councillors would represent the Council at meetings
Cllrs Savage, Lockwood, Calsy, Nugent, Napoletani and Butcher.
b) 3 tier Meeting
Deferred to the next meeting in the absence of Cllr Napoletani
c) South Copeland Partnership
The SCP are holding a Bid Writing Course on 15 November 2018 at Millom Network
Centre. 15 places are available.
The following correspondence had been received:
Millom Town Council had sent a letter inviting Councillors to attend a parade
and service to commemorate the end of WW1 on 11 November 2018. This to
be discussed at the next meeting. Cllr Calsy will attend.
81/18 COUNCILLOR MATTERS
Cllr Calsy reported that a litter pick had been organised for 20 October 2018
at10.30am and was seeking ideas of litter hotspots.
82/18 DATE OF NEXT MEETING :
Tuesday 6 November 2018 at The Hill Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm
There being no other business the Meeting closed at 9.15pm
Signed ................................. Date......................